Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ribbon Storage

Yesterday I got all my ribbon organized. Just in case you'd like to see, here's how I have it stored.

Half of my ribbon is hanging on Ribbon Rings that I got from Taylored Expressions. I love these things! They're even prettier now that they're out where I can see them (rather than in my closet)! I have the ribbon sorted on three different rings: greens, purples, and blues on one ring; reds, pinks, and oranges on another; neutrals on a third. I also hang my gold cord on the wall next to the ribbon rings.

The other half of my ribbon is now in a drawer (pretty much next to the ribbon rings), but wound very neatly on old-style clothes pins. I did NOT come up with this idea, so I can't take credit for it. I saw it posted by Nichole Heady, and you can see her post HERE. Awesome idea!!

I had the hardest time finding the old-style clothes pins, but then my friend Janice said I could find them at Dollar Tree. Sure enough, there they were...$1 for each pack of 20. I saw some on eBay too, but of course then there would be shipping costs. The ribbon is secured with some straight pins just like Nichole suggested in her post.



I have to tell you, rolling ribbon this way saved TONS of space compared to keeping the ribbon on the rolls!! This drawer was TOTALLY jam packed with ribbon rolls before I changed over to the clothes pins. I mean, I couldn't fit ANYTHING else in there. It was messy too because the ribbon still unwound and the rolls were all uneven. Look at it now, there's room for A LOT more ribbon...guess I can go ribbon shopping, huh? Hehe! There's even room to store the extra packs of clothes pins and a container that holds the straight pins and tags for my Ribbon Rings.

Oh, and I think I might get some sort of drawer dividers to keep the ribbon grouped by color family...because I know it won't stay this neat without them. Any ideas on what to get?

11 comments:

Dawn Easton said...

Love this idea Denise! Fantastic! I'm so jealous you found those old fashioned clothespins! I've been hunting for them too....lol...next visit to the States I'm hitting Dollar Tree! haha!

Lauri said...

I use the Ribbon Ring too and love it!!

Unknown said...

I think I need that ring thing! And I KNOW I need you to come to Cajun Country for a week to help me get organized! Wouldn't that be a hoot??? :-)

Anonymous said...

I love ribbon rings too. I can grab one, throw it in my crop bag and arrive with wrinkle free ribbon. You can store two 3/8" ribbons on each card. So much easier than the big box of ribbon I used to take to crops. I like your idea of separating the colors.

Sue C said...

Hi Denise! I got the same idea from Nichole's blog! I don't have available drawers or room for jars (like Nichole did), so I screwed little eye hooks into the heads of the clothespins, put four of them on a book ring and hung them on cup hooks screwed to the underside of a shelf. Clear as mud? You can see what I'm talking about here: http://randomonpurpose.typepad.com/random_on_purpose/2008/04/pin-it.html
if you're interested...
I LOVE your blog (I'm subscribed) - great ideas, beautiful artwork, and so on and so on...
Oh - if there's an AC Moore or Michaels anywhere near you (or your readers), they have the "doll pins", too - not as cheap as Dollar Tree, but still... They're in the unfinished wood section.

Rebecca Ednie said...

most dollar stores and walmart have boxes meant for cutlery. Not the tray with the dividers, though that might work too, but just plastic boxes, no lids, straight sides. I got mine in several sizes. Sometimes they have little overhang/ lip that allows them to lock onto the one next. If your drawer is deep though, I would get clear plastic food storage containers (aka Tupperware!) so you can stack them. I like my ribbon out because it is pretty so if you have or can get a shelf, put them in glass jars. I like either the old fashioned candy store ones or you can find ones that have the rubber seal and the metal gadget thingie that holds a glass lid on top. Very pretty.

Unknown said...

Denise,

I did the same with my ribbon, I read Nicole's blog and ened up winding my ribbon on the wooden spindles. Luckily I have a Dollar Store that still carries them. I have so much ribbon that I purchased small plastic bins with lids that are attached and can open up in the center (from Dollar store also.) I bought 8 of them and I store my ribbon rolls in them according to color group. The bins are labeled accordingly.
Careful though, since I have mastered this technique I have bought so much more ribbon to add to my collection! Addictive!

Gretchen said...

Oh what a great idea! I have a Dollar Tree near me- I'm going to go get some of those clothespins! How many yards of ribbon can you fit on each one?

Anonymous said...

Cool idea - Denise!!! I might have to do something like it with some of my left overs!!!

Rose Ann said...

Thanks for sharing your ribbon storage!! I love your ideas, and will surely have to check them out!!

Jami said...

Hmmmm....I'm liking that clothespin idea!!
hugs, Jami